If your treadmill belt is starting to feel sticky or sluggish, it’s probably time to clean a treadmill belt. Luckily, cleaning a treadmill belt is a pretty simple process that only takes a few minutes. This blog post will answer your question on how to clean a treadmill belt!
Cleaning your treadmill belt at your home gym regularly will help keep your treadmill running smoothly and prevent the belt from prematurely wearing out. For best results, aim to clean the dirty treadmill belt at least once a month or after every 20 miles of use.
How often you should clean your treadmill belt
It will also depend on how often you use the treadmill and how dusty your home environment is. We will suggest something below. It may be helpful for your maintenance schedule.
1. Cleaning once a day
If you use your treadmill for running or walking every day, you should clean the treadmill’s belt and treadmill deck once a day. This will help prevent too much dust, dirt, and debris from building up on the belt and causing it to wear out prematurely.
2. Cleaning once a week
If you only use your treadmill a few times a week, cleaning the belt once a week should be sufficient.
3. Cleaning once a month
If you only use your treadmill occasionally, cleaning the running belt once a month should be sufficient.
4. Cleaning if you have a furry friend
If you have a home with pets, you may need to clean your treadmill belt more often. This is because pet hair can quickly build up on the belt and cause it to become sluggish. You should use a motor cover for extra protection.
5. Seasonal Cleaning
If you live in an area with a lot of dust or pollen, you may need to clean your treadmill belt more often during certain times of the year.
Advantages of cleaning your treadmill belt:
There are some benefits of cleaning your treadmill belt regularly. We will try to show you the benefits at a glance below. As follows…
1. To get the warranty:
If you have a new treadmill, it is likely under warranty. Part of the requirements to keep your warranty valid is maintaining the treadmill and cleaning it as the manufacturer recommends. Check your owner’s manual for specific cleaning requirements for your model of a treadmill.
2. Prolong Belt Life:
A clean treadmill belt will last longer than a neglected one. When dirt, dust, and sweat build up on the belt, it can cause the belt to break down and wear out prematurely. By cleaning the belt regularly, you can help prolong its life.
3. Improve Treadmill Performance:
A clean treadmill will run more smoothly and efficiently than a dirty one which is good for your muscles. When the belt is free of dirt and debris, it can move more easily and won’t require as much power to keep it moving. This can help improve the overall performance of your treadmill.
4. Prevent Injuries:
A clean treadmill belt is less likely to cause injuries than a dirty one. When the belt is sticky or gritty, it can cause you to slip or trip while running. This can lead to serious injuries, so it’s important to keep the belt clean to help prevent accidents.
5. Cleaning Bacteria:
Sweat and dirt can build up on the treadmill belt and create a breeding ground for bacteria. By cleaning the belt regularly, you can help remove bacteria and prevent the spread of germs.
6. Cleaning Sweat:
Cleaning the treadmill belt can also help remove sweat stains, white spots, and other body fluids that can build up on the belt. This can help keep the belt clean and free of bacteria.
7. Prevent Damage to the Treadmill:
Dirt, dust, and debris can damage the electronic components of your treadmill if they are not cleaned off regularly. Keeping the treadmill clean can help prevent long-term damage to the machine.
How to do it:
Here is shown the simple method of cleaning a treadmill belt. As follows…
Equipment or cleaning products needed:
- A soft, damp cloth/ paper towel
- Treadmill lubricant/ Silicone spray
- A soft brush
- Vacuum cleaner
- Mild soap
1. Unplug the power outlet treadmill and ensure the belt is not moving before you begin. (get it to normal mode if there was an incline motor)
2. Use a soft, damp cloth to remove any dust or debris from the surface of the belt.
3. Apply a small amount of treadmill belt lubricate or silicone spray to a clean cloth and wipe it over the entire length of the belt.
4. Use a soft brush to remove any dirt or debris stuck in the spaces between the treads on the belt.
5. Vacuum the area around the treadmill to remove any dust or dirt that has fallen off the belt.
6. Wipe down the console and other surfaces of the treadmill with mild soap and water to remove any fingerprints or smudges.
7. Once you are finished cleaning, wipe down the treadmill with a clean cloth to remove any lube or soap residue.
8. Plug the treadmill back in and turn it on to test that the belt is moving smoothly. If it’s not, try applying a little more lube until the belt moves freely.
Cleaning a treadmill belt is an essential part of maintaining your treadmill and keeping it in good working condition. By following these simple steps, you can help prolong the life of your treadmill and keep it running smoothly.
Cleaning a treadmill belt is a simple process, but there are a few things you should keep in mind to avoid damaging the machine.
- Make sure to unplug the treadmill from the power outlet before you begin cleaning.
- Do not use harsh chemicals or cleaners on the treadmill belt or components as they can damage the machine.
- Be careful not to get water on any of the electrical components of the treadmill.
- Avoid using too much lube or silicone spray as it can make the belt slippery and increase the risk of injuries.
- Do not allow children or pets near the treadmill while it is unplugged and cleaned.
You can also follow the method showed in the video:
Disadvantages of not cleaning your treadmill belt:
If you don’t clean your treadmill belt, you may notice that it starts to feel sticky or sluggish. This can be caused by sweat, dust, and dirt on the belt.
Not cleaning your treadmill belt can also cause the belt to wear out prematurely. This is because sweat, dust, and dirt build-up can act like sandpaper and grind away at the belt.
How to Clean Treadmill Belt: Final Thought
Here we have tried to show you how to clean your treadmill belt, its advantages, disadvantages, and other details. If you have more questions in mind, feel free to ask. Best of luck on your journey of burning calories on a treadmill!